In the interest of full disclosure, this concoction was born from my
great love ok obsession for this particular product from LUSH. At almost $22 a tub, it’s crazy expensive- I don’t usually spend that much on a single product. Especially such a small quantity! But it IS amazing and makes my skin feel so fresh and soft and completely breakout free. A definite must during pregnancy. Give this DIY Margarita Face Scrub a try. All of the ingredients may be a bit more costly at first but you don’t use all of any of them and have plenty left over for other things to use as you wish.
I omitted a few weird or hard to find ingredients from the original product label and added a few of my own to create a face scrub that has all the elements I love about the original (vodka! lime! sea salt!) with a few more fun ones I personally like on my skin (coconut oil, avocado oil, Himalayan Pink Rock Salt) and more!
Here’s the recipe:
1. 1 cup coconut oil
2. 1 tsp. avocado oil (if you are worried about oily skin just add a few drops)
3. A full shot of Vodka- go big or go home!
4. The juice of 1 lime (my limes were super wimpy juice producers so I used 2)
5. The zest of two limes- bright green zest only here, people! No white pith allowed.
5. 1/2 cup of coarse sea salt
6. 1/4 cup Rock Salt (I used some fun Pink Himalayan Rock Salt from my father in law but any food safe kind will do)
7. 1/4 cup white sugar
8. a FEW drops of essential oils if you like them/want to add them. I used Tea Tree and Eucalyptus oils and their scent goes so well with the lime! Yum.
9. 1 tsp. honey
I am no expert when it comes to essential oils. A great resource for that is my sweet cousin Kelly over at New Leaf Wellness if you are looking for more info!
Add all ingredients to a bowl. Use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease OR a hand mixer on low speed to incorporate all ingredients into a smooth mixture. Dump this into little mason jars or resealable containers and you are good to go!
*This product is all natural and doesn’t include any type of binder. If left in high humidity or heat it WILL separate leaving sugars/salt/zest on the bottom and solids/oils on the top! Weird I know. If this happens and it freaks you out, just warm it again in the microwave or on a sunny table, put the lid on and shake/stir it up. No problem.