Jan 3, 2013

Fresh Squeezed Infantino Feeding System

This is it, Mom’s.  One of the coolest, most useful little gadgets (is it really a gadget?) I have come across in my almost 3 years as a parent.  The Fresh Squeezed feeding system from Infantino.

Our second daughter, Grace, born premature with congenital CMV, has developmental delays and extreme problems gaining weight and holding calories.  The ONLY way she will consume solids is through the now popular squeeze pack pouches.  This is awesome because these pouches are super convenient, easy for her to suck nutrients out of, and packed full of interesting and unique produce flavors.  They are not awesome, however, because they are pretty expensive (up to $1.68 per pouch!) and just aren’t homemade.  I really got into making homemade baby food this time around and was bummed when Gracie started to reject anything from a spoon.  There were bags and bags of frozen baby food in our fridge that I thought might go to waste.

Enter the Fresh Squeezed line!

fresh-squeezed-infantinoImage courtesy of Infantino.

That’s a lot of stuff in that photo, huh?  I only felt it necessary to buy the actual squeeze station thing, the little squeeze pack baggies (obviously) and the squeeze pack tray for the fridge or freezer.   I used regular kitchen equipment for everything else and my handy dandy immersion blender to do all of the heavy mixing.  If you don’t cook often, or don’t think you have all the equipment necessary, I’d definitely splurge and get the whole system.  I was really pleased with the quality of all of the parts.  Everything seems like it will hold up nicely.

_MG_4646The magic is in these little funnel attachments that screw onto the squeeze pack baggies.  A rubber tipped plunger pushes the pureed food through the opening and down into the pouch.

_MG_4653I thought I was about to make a huge mess, starting this little squeeze pack experiment, but the kitchen stayed almost completely clean and there was barely any clean up- just a quick run through soapy water and everything rinsed clean. No scrubbing or scraping or brushing of any parts, no dishwasher necessary.

_MG_4659

_MG_4643

_MG_4697

These are the 4 flavors I made this evening:

1. Sweet Potato, Apple, Cinnamon

• prick and then roast 4-5 sweet potatoes in a 400 degree oven until very soft
  • remove skin and set aside in a bowl
  • core and dice two apples (skin on) and add to the sweet potatoes
  • sprinkle with a teaspoon of cinnamon
  • use immersion blender to puree mixture to a smooth consistency

2. Basil, Apple, Sweet Pea

• microwave 3 cups of frozen peas until they are thawed and tender but still bright green (about 4 minutes)
  • core and dice two apples (skin on) and add to the bowl of thawed peas
  • add a handful of washed, fresh basil leaves to the apple and peas
  • use immersion blender to puree mixture to a smooth consistency

3. Carrot, Squash, Banana, Avocado

• Cut butternut squash in half and remove stringy pulp and seeds
  • peel and dice 4 large carrots
  • add squash and carrot to large baking sheet and roast in a 450 degree oven until tender (about 45 min)
  • peel two bananas into a large mixing bowl
  • remove veggies from oven and allow to cool completely
  • remove flesh from skin of squash and add it, with carrots, to the bowl of bananas
  • use immersion blender to puree mixture to a smooth consistency
  • add flesh from two haas avocados
  • add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (to prevent serious browning)
  • use immersion blender again to combine

4. Blueberry, banana, apple

• core and dice two apples (skin on) and add to a bowl
  • add two cups of blueberries
  • add two bananas
  • use immersion blender to puree mixture to a smooth consistency

*It IS important to keep foods to the consistency of a smoothie- i.e. no chunks allowed to this party.

*It ISN’T important to follow “rules” about recipes.  Anything goes here- greens with fruit, spices, herbs, whatever you think sounds good, your babe will probably enjoy trying.

*There are no preservatives in this food so it has to either be consumed in 48 hours or frozen.  This is no big deal to our family since they are eaten so quickly and we are used to having a freezer stocked with breast milk or homemade baby food at any given point in time.

*This method of baby food making lends itself well to buying in bulk and taking advantage of sales.  For example, bananas were $0.25 per POUND today at the store, hence so many appearances from Mr. Banana himself.  I got like 20 bananas for a dollar.

*I will be able to add whatever the Feeding Team decides is necessary to help boost Gracie’s calories. Powders, butter, oil, avocado, cream etc. are all easy additions to this type of baby food making process.

*I plan on making actual fruit and yogurt smoothies for my toddler who loves these squeeze packs too.  She’ll probably get a kick out of helping make up her own concoctions which should be pretty fun.

_MG_4704The squeeze station is only $25.00.  With the amount you could spend on a baby food cooking system these days- I think that is an incredible steal.  Add that to the amount you will save on buying the actual pouches and you are certainly looking at a big cost savings if you are a family of squeeze pack lovers.

A box of 50 clear plastic pouches cost $13.59 and the fridge container tray costs $9.99 (this wasn’t truly necessary, but I need all the help I can get with organizing and keeping things tidy- and the fridge is no exception!).

So at just over $50, you have everything you need to make delicious, healthy, on-the-go friendly meals that your little ones will love.

You can get the whole line at Babies R Us.  Pretty sure this system, the immersion blender, and my favorite baby food cookbook will be my go to baby shower gift from now on.  I can’t get over how great this all is.  Here is the link to buy:

Infantino Fresh Squeezed System

Thanks Infantino, I have a new hobby now :)

45 Responses to “Fresh Squeezed Infantino Feeding System”

MeredithJanuary 3rd, 2013 at 8:45 AM

This is so AWESOME! And it seems like fun to do, too. I would make smoothies and drink out of this myself if i could ;-)

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJanuary 3rd, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I said the same thing! I think I’m going to try that. It’d be so easy to just have smoothies in the fridge, grab one for a car snack or take it to the gym! Plus Grace loves them so I guess that’s the most important thing haha.

Kelly McNelisJanuary 3rd, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Is there anyway you can share a link to where it is on babiesrus.com? I want to share this post with all of my friends and that would be super convenient. If not, no big deal. I can find it myself and send it separately.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJanuary 3rd, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I LOVE my cuisinart immersion blender. It’s the only one I’ve ever owned so I can’t compare, but definitely ZERO complaints.

MelissaJanuary 3rd, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Awesome, i saw one on amazon for about $35. Now i jphabe to convince the hubby that i will actually use it and thus not a waste of $$!

The Sweeter Side of Mommyhood » Munchies For MunchkinsFebruary 1st, 2013 at 6:20 AM

[...] Here’s a sneak peak at one of the baby food recipes I’ve included. We love it right from the squeeze pouch (that’s how my daughter, Grace, prefers to eat most of her food), but it’s equally delicious served traditionally from a spoon. My almost-three-year-old even loves to grab one out of the fridge as a smoothie-esque snack! (If you are interested in knowing more about making your own squeeze pouch baby food, click here.) [...]

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodFebruary 14th, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Good question! All I do is set a pouch that I want to defrost quickly in a bowl of hot or boiling water. Only takes a few minutes! If you don’t need it defrosted right away, just pop some in the fridge and they’ll defrost in 24 hours. Hope that helps!

BrittneyMarch 25th, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I stumbled on your blog today and enjoyed this post! My two year old will NOT eat any veggies, but will eat almost anything in a baby food pouch. Started making my own yesterday and it was fun! It was quite messy at first, probably because I was making several things at once so I could create fun combinations, but I think it will get less messy as I get the hang of it :) Thanks for your post. It validated what I’m doing to make yummy homemade pouches for my son. :)

LailaMay 14th, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Oh man, all of those bananas will constipate your LO!!
But those recipes sure do look good. Copying you!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodMay 14th, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My girls have thankfully never had constipation issues, but I can certainly see that being an issue for some babes, haha. If you’re concerned about that add things like pears, and plums :)

JoniMay 19th, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Love your blog but have several questions!!! I love your recipes but will the peelings of the apples cause a choking hazard? I have an 8 month old and only have a regular food processor. Should I peel them instead? Do you not have to cook them first so that they will puree small enough? When you freeze the bananas and avocados, do they get gross? Can you make these with yogurt (like a smoothie) and freeze them too? I have the infantino system but haven’t used it bc I have been looking for recipes!! Thanks for your help!!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodMay 19th, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Hi Joni!
Let’s see, the stick blender I use purees the apple skins very very finely (you can’t see them) so they don’t end up a choking hazard- I think it will depend on how long you puree and what type of blender is used. And no, you don’t have to cook them first unless you are making cinnamon applesauce ;) the bananas and avocados will discolor for sure. It doesn’t bother me (it’s only the color not the flavor) but if it is unappetizing to you or your little one, you can add a squeeze of lemon juice to your mixtures and this will help hold the color. And you can absolutely use yogurt! We love to do this and have smoothies on hand- my three year old is obsessed. Hope you try some recipes and have fun with the infantino system!

DayleJune 5th, 2013 at 6:20 AM

The infantino fresh squeezed system is a great way to give your baby a healthy start and trial new food.

We were having a nightmare with our LO with store bought jarred food and its no surprise, have you tasted them… YUK!

She did however like the Ella’s kitchen pouches but at £1.20 a pouch the cost soon adds up. After the initial outlay of the Fresh squeezed system you can soon save money and best of all you know exactly what your LO is eaating.

P.S Great recipes BTW, will have a look at making some up!

Alyssa McConnellJune 8th, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I feel like our babies are so alike! I mentioned on Instagram (amcconnell) that my daughter was born 10 weeks early and stayed at Magee also. Anyways, I struggled so hard with getting Elena to eat. She never really took to baby food. I tried making my own anf buying different brands. I was so frustrated and worried that she was almost 1 and still not eating. I saw so many other babies chowing down on everything! Finally we tried the pouches and Elena really liked them! Once I took the plunge and took her bottles away from her (the whole time being petrified that she would starve) she started eating actual food (thank God). But she still will not eat anything that I try to feed her from a spoon. We do the squeezable Greek yogurt tubes and I just bought the reusable pouches so that she will eat applesauce. I’m enjoying reading your blog and feeling like someone is going through sort of the same feeding issues as we have. I felt so alone as no one knew what I was going through. Keep strong mama! Your doing great. Your girls are awesome! :)

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJune 8th, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Alyssa I’m dreading taking Gracie’s bottle away because its the only way she’ll drink her goat milk (aka main source of calories). Have you tried any spicy foods yet? Gracie still won’t eat fresh fruit or veggies (unless they are in a pouch) but she INHALES curry, chili, taco meat, buffalo chicken pizza (lol) from a fork or spoon! Her therapists think its hilarious but say she might have an underdeveloped pallet that needs extra stimulation to swallow. Crazy babies!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodAugust 20th, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Babies R Us Sale + a coupon if I remember correctly. Or they might have already been on sale? Either way – Babies R Us.

AnamAugust 21st, 2013 at 6:47 PM

thanks so much.. takes all the worry away after reading your awesome blog. so many questions answered :) ))
i started making so many yummy things for my LO today and i just cant wait to try them :)

Vitamix Parts BladeSeptember 8th, 2013 at 10:04 PM

my son who is 7 DOES NOT EAT! i offer wide varieties of different foods
and he just does not eat. he doesnt eat meat hardly ever. doesnt like chicken
or hamburgers or pork .. doesnt like squishy textures for
stuff like jello or yogurt, doesnt eat eggs, butter, or jelly..
what can you recomend to try for him

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodSeptember 9th, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Hmmm that’s a tough one. Especially if you’re asking specifically about the infatino fresh squeeze system as almost all foods made for use in the pouches are soft/yogurt like (purees and smoothies etc.). Have you tried boosting the flavor for him? I have a VERY difficult eater with my 18 month old daughter. She also hates soft/squishy foods (totally a texture thing) but WILL eat anything that’s super spicy, garlicky or flavorful. Her therapists tell me she needs more mouth sensation and the extra kick in her foods gives that to her. I’ve pureed chili and tortilla soup and things like that for her and she LOVES it!

ZannaDannaSeptember 21st, 2013 at 10:57 PM

These would be great for measured amounts for a diabetic toddler, or for anyone on a soft diet just for a change. I think the elderly might like these better than the puree shaped in molds to look like the original food. You could keep it warm easier, and it would be very easy to eat. I was a very popular chef when I made puree pizza, puree fish and chips, and puree cheeseburgers. It all fit the dieticians requirements, tasted great, but looked awful. These pouches would have made it much better, as they made me stop because patients were trying to lick the serving trays clean and spilled too much.

Pouches of baby food, who knew? I used a fork to mush whatever we were having most of the time. I thought the little jars were wasteful and tasted gross. I was amazed by how much changed in the 5 years between my boys, but it looks like I am in for some suprises when the grandkids arrive.

Charlene graySeptember 22nd, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Hi just bought this system and wonder how do I serve warm food if it’s not microwaveable or you can’t boil it in water, would like to use it for fruit type receipts but also for warmer food

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodSeptember 22nd, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Yes! These are so neat and easy for kids to eat. Once they get the hang of it, they are really mess free! I just tried serving soup on the pouches and it was a huge, huge hit. My girls LOVE soup but it’s one of those things that is impossible for them to eat by themselves- none makes it into their mouths from their spoons! Just has to be thin soup like tomato soup or broth based/puree soup. And yes- these are super for various specific diet purposes. Even to have healthy, portable smoothies on hand is awesome!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodSeptember 22nd, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Though you cannot “boil” the pouches, I’ve rested pouches brought to room temperature in hot hot tap water to warm them (i.e. for things like soup, mashed potatoes…). They never get truly HOT, but they warm through enough to be palatable for kids :)

LisaNovember 5th, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Have you or anyone you know found brands of reusable pouches that fit on the squeeze station? There are some brands that look like they might fit but I’m not sure.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodNovember 14th, 2013 at 2:42 PM

These particular pouches are not reusable. There are brands out there that are, however. I might measure them up and see if they will fit in the unit.

WeronichaMay 22nd, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I just wanted to say that even though the company
Says that these pouches cant be reused I still do.
I have a friend who has a different type of system with
reusable pouches and after looking at them I realized that they are more or less the same as these pouches.the ones
from Infantino is even easier to make sure they are clean as
they are clear plastic. If you deside to reuse the pouches
it is ofcourse all on you, the company is not responsable if
you dong clean them properly or something. But I have reused
them for months now with no problem. I rinse them properly with
some dishsoap and it works a treat :)

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJune 9th, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Great advice!! I think I’m going to try washing them next time- can’t hurt!!

DianaJune 17th, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I’m on the fence about these. Maybe someone can explain it to me since I’m a first time mom and my daughter isn’t eating yet. It sounds like the food has to be puréed very fine so won’t this only be good during the first stage? Once the baby is supposed to have chunkier food, it is useless isn’t it?

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJune 17th, 2014 at 8:23 AM

My girls at 2 and 4 STILL love pouch food- it’s an easy and healthy snack option for them. We usually fill them now with fruit smoothies or yogurt smoothies. And lots and lots of homemade applesauce! My 2 year old had feeding/growth issues as well so the fact that she LOVED pouch/squeeze food was fantastic- I could blend ANYTHING into an easy consistency for her to eat from these pouches. Life saver!

CynthiaJuly 10th, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Happy to have found your post. I love this system but found the food separating from the water after defrosting them. Haven’t tried your recipes yet but had this happened to you?
Looking forward to using our system again worn your recipes :-)

JessicaJuly 16th, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I just started using this for my son and there is no way he’s going to finish a pouch in one sitting. Can you refrigerate a half eaten pouch and give it to them later?

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJuly 22nd, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Yes! Refrigerate like you would any other pouch, or a cup of uneaten yogurt- I kind of limit myself to re-refrigerating for a day or so.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJuly 22nd, 2014 at 6:23 AM

I did occasionally have separation but I just squished around the bag until the contents were well incorporated again. No preservatives in there or binders so I expected a bit of that type of thing. It may look visually off putting but didn’t effect taste. You can also just tip out the water when you give it to your littles before they begin eating.

CatherineAugust 6th, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I got the fling station/pouches yesterday, and they’re so easy to use! But I had some spillage issues and might have been trying to fill the pouches too much. On the infantino tubes there are lines – do you know which line you fill up to for one pouch?

Leave a Response

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: