Apr 4, 2013

Chunky Crochet Blanket

Disclaimer: this blanket is a gift to the two talented individuals that created this website space for me. It hasn’t made it to the post office yet but it will be on its way as soon as this Momma can get her act together. Very talented friends, you know who you are.

****

I’m so excited to share this particular project with you! By now I’m sure you are aware of my blanket obsession. And I fall in love with everything I make. But this blanket, made for the lovely lady and her fiance who are responsible for this beautiful website you are now viewing, is a particular favorite. It is SO soft, and so squishy. It’s super chunky because it is done with two strands of yarn (from separate skeins) held together throughout.  I can’t wait to make more and experiment with different color combinations. This will definitely be a blanket well loved by your entire family, ever present on the back of a couch or your favorite chair. Hope my friends enjoy it in their new home!

chunky crochet blanket005

chunky crochet blanket004

The stitches in this blanket are thick and soft.

chunky crochet blanket003

chunky crochet blanket002

chunky crochet blanket001

Here’s the pattern (general guidelines?) if you’d like to make your own!

A note about the yarn- I wanted to keep this simple and easy so I chose “Sensations Sincerely” large balls of yarn in cream, gray and black. I use two skeins of each color. You could probably use any yarn with similar results, I just can’t advise you on exactly how much yarn you would need to achieve the desired large blocks of each color. This yarn creates a finished blanket that ends up being about 4′ by 5′.

I used a very large, size H hook so my blanket would stay loose and soft.

Hold together two strands of yarn (the starting strand from each ball of the same color) for the entire project.

Materials:

6 skeins Sensations Sincerely yarn (two skeins of each color)

Large crochet hook (size H or J works well- but check the recommended hook size on your yarn label)

Pattern:

*Can now be purchased by clicking HERE* (modify by working with TWO STRANDS instead of one).

-J

P.S. If you love this project, I am constantly pinning other easy crochet projects and tutorials from all across the internet. Check it out on pinterest or follow the board by clicking HERE.

52 Responses to “Chunky Crochet Blanket”

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodApril 7th, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Thanks Crystal! Always awesome to connect with other yarn lovers- so addicting!

KellyApril 19th, 2013 at 9:12 AM

A size “H” hook is not large, a “K” would be better I think… is this yarn a thin yarn or really thick? The blanket is beautiful and simple looking which is what makes it gorgeous.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodApril 19th, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The hook worked great for me! (Obviously haha) you could certainly use a K though. The yarn is regular thin yarn (worsted weight) but is thickened when you hold the two strands together. Glad you like it!

CarrieMay 30th, 2013 at 11:18 AM

So beautiful! I’ve been looking for something new to start, and I think this is perfect! Just to clarify, do you turn at the end of every row? I want to make sure I get this exact look :)

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodMay 30th, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Yes Carrie, turn at the end of each row. Hope you love it! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

cjJune 25th, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I don’t want to seem argumentative here, but I cant imagine a chain of 100 with an H hook being 4′ even chaining extremely loose. To get that gauge, using two strands of worsted weight, I had to use a size N hook.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJune 25th, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You are totally right- I just triple checked, my hook IS a size N15/10.00. My own blanket is actually exactly 89 stitches and 3.5’ long so to even it out I made the pattern 11 extra stitches to be roughly 4’. Sorry for any confusion, folks! I claim mommy brain and kids up all night 😉 Need to proofread better and use CAPITAL letters. Hope you enjoy the blanket.

BrookeJuly 31st, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Hi! I found this on Pinterest and you have totally inspired me to start crocheting! I love the way this blanket looks and I can’t wait to make my own! How did you learn? Do you have any tutorials for beginners? Any tips would be much appreciated!!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodAugust 1st, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Hi Brooke! I’m so glad you are feeling inspired :) I don’t personally have any tutorials (sheesh those people have patience!) but the best place to look is on youTube! Search for “begin to crochet” , “how to crochet” etc. and a bunch of great options should come up! That’s how I learned and I continue to learn. Good luck!

KarlyAugust 1st, 2013 at 8:36 PM

OMG, I sooooo love this blanket! U r very clever! Thanks so much for sharing this. I’m off to buy wool and a hook now. Can’t wait to start making this for my family.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodAugust 2nd, 2013 at 6:49 AM

So happy you are giving it a try! Hope you (and your family!) love it as much as we do :)

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodAugust 20th, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I’m sure it would work! Your sizing (gage?) just might change a little bit so measure and adjust the pattern accordingly. I can’t believe they don’t carry it anymore- I’m bummed!

Jennifer EspinozaSeptember 25th, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I love this blanket and am currently working on it for a Christmas present. I bought six skeins of Vanna’s Choice Lion’s brand yarn but it doesn’t look like it’ll be enough. I looked up the Sincerely Sensations and one skein was 7 oz. I thought this would be helpful for others to know when buying other yarns. Thanks for posting this tutorial!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodSeptember 30th, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Hi Jennifer- thanks for sharing that info! I’m so sad that our craft store doesn’t carry Sincerely Sensations anymore :( boo.

AmieeFebruary 6th, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I am so bummed… found this on Pinterest just the other day and it had a pattern included in the directions how many stitches and such. I went and bought all the supplies and just sat down to start it and I am so disappointed to see that those instructions are no longer there only the link to the PDF for purchase.

andreaankApril 1st, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I’m sure your pattern has the finished measurements but could you tell me what they are before I purcahe? I make blankets to send to soldiers and need a certain size. Thanks

MelanieJune 14th, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Hi there–

Beautiful blanket! I’m a COMPLETE beginner, and so I just need you to explain how you crochet with two strands at the same time? This is probably a dumb question…but I’m planning on making this blanket for my fiancée who’s in the Navy, so I want to make it right! :)

Thank you!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJune 16th, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Hey! All you have to do is hold the two strands together like you are using one and you are good to go. Really easy. Any my brother is in the Navy too! Hope your fiancee loves it!

Jessica MyersOctober 10th, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I’m looking to make this blanket,and was wondering what size your blanket turned out to be? I’m trying guage how much yarn to buy? Thank you!

kaityNovember 20th, 2014 at 9:21 AM

quick question…i bought the pattern off of your etsy and the needle size listed there is different from the one you mention in this post..which one would you recommend??

LisaJanuary 1st, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Tried to purchase the pattern for the blanket above and it’s not available any longer. Would you be able to make it available again?

Shari JonesJanuary 11th, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I would also like to purchase the pattern, but the site indicates the pattern is unavailable. Can this pattern still be purchased?

KoriJanuary 14th, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Is there a way to still purchase this pattern? Also I cannot find the recommended brand of yarn. What other brands do you recommend? Thank you!

AshleyJuly 20th, 2015 at 4:20 PM

I absolutely LOVE this blanket. I am a beginner crocheter. Would you be able to do a quick video to show how to get started with this stitch as well as how to transition from color to color?

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodJuly 20th, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Yes Ashley, that’s actually a great idea. I’ll reply here again when I do and update this blog post.

SamanthaOctober 21st, 2015 at 12:39 AM

I was trying to view the pattern and have not been successful. I am super interested in trying my hand in crocheting and this pattern is where I would really like to start. Is there another way to view the pattern? Thank you in advance!

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodNovember 2nd, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Hi Carla! You would simply need to add extra chains and then purchase additional skeins of yarn.

MaryDecember 21st, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Etsy site say pattern isn’t available. I see others have gotten the same message. Is there anywhere it can be gotten? Thanks.

sweeter-side-of-mommyhoodFebruary 19th, 2016 at 7:08 AM

Hi Shawna, I’m not sure what “blanket yarn” means exactly but any bulky weight yarn will work in generally the same manner!

Leave a Response

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: